The Cubigo VMS hardware setup combines an iPad, thermal scanner, and ticket printer in one network. Although all devices can be connected to the local network, Cubigo advises adding a simple network router to the setup.
Advantages of adding the router:
- The scanner, printer, and iPad are not accessible on the local network, they are behind their own router.
- The configuration and installation process can be standardized, each router has the same subnet.
- You only need 1 ethernet connection to connect the 3 devices.
- Combining 2 hardwired and 1 wireless device on the same router ensures they are on the same network.
- All devices and users can be preconfigured before shipping to the community.
- This setup guarantees a 100% plug & play configuration.
Disadvantages could be:
- Someone could plug in a network cable and get network access - you can also unplug a cable when there is no router.
- Someone could use the WPS button to connect to the router network - the WPS function can be easily disabled in the router’s web interface.
There is no sensitive data other than the visit details exchanged between the iPad and the Cubigo backend. All data is exchanged using a secure, encrypted connection, not readable for other devices on the network.