Cubigo Digital Signage
Configuration requirements / best practice
For Cubigo digital Signage you need an AppleTV device of generation 4 and higher. This is the one with where you can install apps from the AppStore.
When we want to turn an AppleTV into a Cubigo Digital Signage player we need to configure the following steps:
- Be sure the device is connected to a wired network. (Wireless is also supported, but the wired network is a more stable and reliable connection)
- Install the “Cubigo Digital Signage” application from the AppStore
- Run the App and login with the specific digital signage credentials. Each screen has a different login and pincode to display the content published to a channel in Cubigo.
- Configure the device to play in “Single app mode”. This is a configuration that prevents the device from going into sleep mode and provides automatic recovery after power outages. This configuration can be done on a Mac computer using “Apple Configurator 2” and an USB-C cable or using Mobile Device Management software.
some configuration tools need the bundle name of the app in order to activate the single app mode. For the Cubigo Digital Signage App his is com.cubigo.Digital-Signage-prod
- Connect the device to a display of your choice using an HDMI cable.
- Power the device, it opens the Digital Signage app automatically and plays the channel content continuously.
Cubigo releases updates for the Digital Signage app a couple of times per year. This in order to enhance the app performance, to add new functionality or support extra services.
It is important that you install these updates. Currently, only the MDM scenario supports automatic app updates. In the Configurator scenario, the updates can be done by reconnecting the USB-C cable and toggling the single app mode to get access to the update from the AppStore.
More info on this topic you can find here: Apple Update Recommendations
To log out of the Digital Signage you need to press 10 seconds on the touchpad of the remote control.
Mobile Device Management
Cubigo strongly advises using an MDM tool because it provides better management and update possibilities than the Apple Configurator scenario.
When using Mobile Device Management the system administrator can remotely manage the device and force app updates without having to any manual action on the device itself.
Support and scenarios
Cubigo has a step by step scenario for the single app configuration using Apple Configurator 2 and an example scenario using JAMF. However, clients are free to use any other tools available to configure and manage the AppleTV device.